Suffering from kidney problem. Medical test done. What are the findings in the report?

Jan 2013

respected sir my father is suffer kidney problem
remarks : medical report details blood urea : 85.6mgs, serum creatine : 3.45mgs , Randam blood sugar : 106.4mgs

please give me your suggestion sir
Posted Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 56 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated features along with deranged renal function test.
Is he getting urine output regularly or decreased urine output?
What is his current blood pressure?
Is he getting any respiratory difficulty, gastrointestinal symptoms?

Elevated level of blood urea and serum creatinine signifies kidney disturbances.
Kidney problem could be in form of acute renal failure (ARF) or chronic kidney disease (CKD).
ARf may be prerenal (due to low blood pressure or loss of blood/ fluids like diarrhea and vomiting), renal (called as acute tubular necrosis) or post renal (obstruction of urinary tract due to stone or pressure of surrounding organ on ureters).

Worlwide Diabetes and hypertension are the 2 most common cause of chronic kidney disease.
Differentiation between ARF and CKD can be made by urine examination and ultrasound imaging.
Kidney size <8.5 cm and loss of cortico-medullary differentiation is suggestive of CKD.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ nephrologist and should for thorough check up.
He should go for urine routine microscopy, ultrasound imaging, if necessary then renal biopsy.
He may require hemodialysis if he is getting low urine output, difficulty in respiration, altered sensorium, gastrointestinal symptoms and rising trend in blood urea and creainine.
Kidney diseases are associated with electrolyte imbalances like hypo/ hypernatemia, hyperkalemia, hypo/hypercalcemia.
He should avoid all potassium XXXXXXX diet such as citrus fruit juices, banana, coconut water.
He should take low protein diet as blood urea and serum creatinine are formed after break down of proteins.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava