Suffering from itchy and smelly legs. What is the problem and cure?

I am suffering really badly with itchy legs and especially my feet when I am in the bath, and it gets quite unbearable when I get out to dry myself, subsiding after a couple of minutes when I am dry. Also I have noticed that they smell, which is something I have never suffered from. This has been going on now for about 3months. I have also been suffering with pain all around the outside of the feet when I stand first thing in the morning, and when I have been sat for a while. I am on my feet all day at work, I am a chef, and have been for the last 29years. I have always been healthy, until I gave up smoking 5 years ago, and now my health issue is with the weight I have gained. about 3 stone. I now weigh 13stone 2lb. I have never been a regular visitor to the Doctor.
Posted Sat, 24 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Itching of the legs after taking a bath is likely to be due to dermatitis or cholinergic urticaria. You need to avoid taking bath with hot water and apply 1% hydrocortisone ointment on the area for relief.
The pain on the outside of the feet in morning is likely to be due to plantar fasciits. The initial treatment with anti inflammatory medicines with rest and cold fomentation works fine for most of the patients. Cortisone injection is a good mid to long term treatment. You might need a repeat dose in a few months. Beware not to take it frequently since it causes induced tear of plantar fascia. Consider using soft silicone heel cushions for preventing any further damage to fascia.

Exercises also play an important role and I'm afraid they are the only long term mainstay of the treatment.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.