Suffering from insomnia. Will calcium and magnesium supplements help me?

hi my name is karishma and iam 23 years old,i have been suffering from sleeping problem since 1 year an iahve tried soo many medicines but dont feel like it has worked on me but recently iam taking high nature 5Htp snd calcium and magnesium is that the good idea for my problem ,,,please help me iam very much tired my by life because of insominia
Posted Thu, 21 Jun 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for the query
Millions of people suffer from insomnia. The young and the elderly are particularly affected and with the increasing number of distractions in life, sleeplessness is difficult to shake.
Teenagers and young adults are particularly famous for staying up into the early hours and many times it is  because of the very troubled lives they lead, what with social pressures, education, pressures from the family and personal issues that young people suffer from insomnia.
sleeping pills and drugs have a lot side effects and work only for a short period of time. Long term pharmaceutical sleeping aid causes more harm than benefits.

Insomnia is closely connected to thyroid disorders, depression, anxiety and also has been linked to weight gain and poorly functioning immune systems. Sleep disturbances are often indicators of other underlying health condition.
You must get your thyroid levels along with iron,calcium levels checked up.
Both low and high levels of thyroid hormones can result in a variety of sleep disturbances and be one of hidden causes of insomnia in women.they can cause
Chronic fatigue and muscle pains
Heart arrythmias
Melatonin and neurotransmitter imbalance
Estrogen dominance that occurs due to imbalances of progesterone and estrogen can be a cause of insomnia in young women with hormonal imbalances 
Cortisol imbalances 

My advice to you is to consult a physician and try to find a physical cause for your insomnia.
If there is no physical cause,you should consult a psychotherapist and opt for counseling.
Pending your visits to doctors,you start
Daily exercise regime and regularly
Do yoga,meditation and XXXXXXX breathing techniques
Avoid Stimulants such as coffee, diet pills, alcohol, cigarettes, recreational drugs, sugar and caffeine containing drinks, energy drinks etc
You may continue taking 5 HTP,calcium and magnesium but NO SLEEPING PILLS.
Avoid exercising in late evenings and specially 4 to 5 hours prior to your sleep time.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any other query.
Best of luck