Suffering from infection. Suggested platelets count below normal. Advised cerebrospinal fluid extraction. Safe for baby?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

My baby is 8 days old. She is suffering from infection for the past 5 daya and is admitted in NICU. The doctor mentions that the platelete counts are below normal range. However the baby is presently very active, has proper motion and urination. The doctor has also allowed to breast feed. However, he is saying that there is a need to immediately check whether the infection has reached thw brain and for that he is advising cerebrospinal fluid extraction. My question: is this procedure safe for 8 days old baby? Should we consent to ir before a second blood test?

Regards, XXXXX.
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 25 minutes later
Thanks for writing to healthcare magic.
Infection in newborn babies with low platelets as in your child indicates that she has infection in the blood.
Doing a cerebro spinal fluid analysis is mandatory to rule out brain infection or meningitis.
If not done the infection may be missed and can have serious consequences later .
But don't worry . The procedure is absolutely safe if done by trained doctors.
I would advice you to follow your doctors advice and get the test done, because that would determine the duration of antibiotic treatment.
Hope I answered your query.
Wishing your kid speedy recovery.
Dr Arun
Follow-up: Suffering from infection. Suggested platelets count below normal. Advised cerebrospinal fluid extraction. Safe for baby? 9 minutes later
Thank you for your reply Dr. XXXXXXX It has been very helpful. I have a follow up question. Are there any specific signs and symptomps for brain infection or meningitis in 8 days old baby? The reason to ask is since other than the platelete count my baby is active, has no fever, etc. and is also on full feed.
Regards, XXXXX.
Answered by Dr. Arun 31 minutes later
Subtle infections may not produce any specific signs and symptoms especially in 8 day old.
Even if your kid looks well and is on full feeds, its necessary to rule out brain infection for your kids safety.
Hope that answers your doubts.
Dr Arun