Suffering from hyperthyroid. Taking thyronorm 50. Suggest some diet plan

Jan 2013

My wife have hyperthyroid and her thyroid level was 36 before medication.Now as advice by doctor she take thyronorm 50 regular basis since last 3 month and before one week test her level is 6 now. please let know what kind of food can take and aviod for thyrodisim.
Posted Sun, 7 Oct 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
As such there is long list regarding restriction of diet.
In hypothyroidism, vegetables like turnip, cabbage, cauliflower, capsicum are to be avoided as these interfere with thyroid hormone-synthesis.
If your wife is taking Broccoli and Lettuce then it must be stopped.
Few other diets are: avoid bread, onion, cucumber, potatoes.
But if will follow all these restriction then its very difficult to take something.
So you can restrict cabbage, cauliflower, capsicum at the most.
A low-fat and carbohydrate food should be consumed as the rate of utilization of these nutrients is slow in those who suffer from hypothyroidism.
If this care is not taken fats will get stored in the body and get deposited in the arteries, increasing the chances of getting "heart attack" and stroke.
As there is high risk of constipation then your wife should take fat free high fibre diet.
Salt should be restricted in diet as it may cause fluid retention with increased puffy and obese appearance.
She should take higher amount of tomatoes with dry fruits.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Suffering from hyperthyroid. Taking thyronorm 50. Suggest some diet plan 15 hours later
Thanks for your reply. I am little bit confused about hyper and hypo thyroids.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 8 minutes later
Why are you confused between hypo & hyperthyroidism?
TSH has a reference limt of 0.35-5.50, < 0.35 is diagnosed as hyperthyroidism (if free T4 is also increased) and > 5.50 is diagnosed as hypothyroidism (if free T4 is also decreased).
Your wife is suffering from hypothyroidism and her TSH is in controlled limit (6).
While she should follow dietary changes which also help in kepping TSH within normal lilmits.
Best regards,
Dr.Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Suffering from hyperthyroid. Taking thyronorm 50. Suggest some diet plan 5 minutes later
Thanks. I will follow the dietary list provide by you for my wife and posted you accordingly if any more help required.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 6 minutes later
Wishing speedy recovery for her.