Suffering from hiccups. What is causing this and treatment?

hi doctor,

I am facing a quite a peculiar problem from last couple of years. When ever i get a Hiccups , it last for three consecutive days.I hav shown to various doctors but no concrete answer is there they suggest its cause of acidity.
Posted Sun, 28 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 9 hours later
Hello Mr XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I gather that your hiccups has been chronic and is making life difficult when it comes. Yes, your doctors are right in one way that gastritis in a way does figure out in the list of many causes leading to this condition.

Theoretically, I have to assume in here since, all I know about you is that your are 32 yr old male - persistent hiccups have a long list of causes. A physician eliminates clinically the most likely and simple ones before going on to the less likely and troublesome ones requiring more specific medications. A detailed history both of your hiccups and every other possible medical history that you have ever recorded, a clinical examination of your chest and abdomen and subsequent tests as necessitated by former may lead to a diagnosis.

Yes, the diagnosis is not as straightforward as you might think - and it is a clinical challenge for any doctor akin to finding a needle in haystack if you need the exact cause.

But, what can be done practically and my suggestions are :
1. Find out what brings on the hiccups - act/time of day/ anything worthy of mention.
2. Stress - an important cause.
3. Medical history - see if you can relate to this. Eg Gastric surgery/tests.
4. Any particular food intake - allergic.
5. Diaphragm / Respiratory history.
6. Approach a General Physician first and get examined. If primary treatment like drugs for gastritis etc do not work, then get referral to a surgical gastroenterologist from him. And get reviewed best during an active episode.

If all of above most common causes are thoroughly looked into - most of patients are treated. Else lesser common ones like diaphragmatic contractions need a more detailed testing and depends on the case. Even then, there are specific anti-spasmodic drugs that help relax the diaphragm (muscle causing the hiccup) when chronically contracting.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.