Suffering from heat bumps. What treatment should be done?

Dermatologist
Question
For the past 4 years I have started suffering from bad heat bumps while on holiday so how can I get a nice XXXXXXX without the heatbumps?
Posted Mon, 30 Jul 2012 in Skin Rash

Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 40 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
Its possible that you have an allergy to the sunlight. This is common and its called photosensitivity. Ideally, you should totally avoid getting tanned. If you must, you can take Tablet Cetrizine 10 mg once daily when you are out in the sun. Also use a broad spectrum sunscreen since excessive exposure to sunlight predisposes you to skin cancer as well.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns

Follow-up: Suffering from heat bumps. What treatment should be done? 1 hour later
I have taken many antihistamine drugs before, will this one be any different?

Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 3 hours later
Thanks for the reply .

No , this is not any different form of an antihistaminic drug . You can take any antihistamine as suggested by your GP .

Thanks and Take care

Follow-up: Suffering from heat bumps. What treatment should be done? 49 minutes later
So how does this help then, I've tried antihistamine drugs both prescribed and purchased. So I've actually paid for nothing. I explained this which is why i was asking if there was anything else?

Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 10 minutes later
Hello
The Antihistamine is not the only method of treatment . You will need to apply a sunscreen. You will need to take the antihistamine before you go for the XXXXXXX . The anti histamine is just to prevent the occurrence of the bumps. It is not going to treat the root of the problem .
The only other option would be to take a short course of steroid for a while which will help control the allergies. These drugs are usually used sparingly as they have several side effects like weight gain etc.
Thanks and Take care