Suffering from flatulence. How to get rid of this?

General Surgeon
am suffering from flatulence
am 24 yrs old. normal weight n height. not allergic to any food.
Posted Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 21 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Flatulence can be caused by many reasons including swallowing gas (due to stress, gum chewing, fast eating, carbonated drinks), constipations, severe intestines inflammation, inflammatory bowel disease, diet (especially leguminous plants), food allergies (this can be the only symptom), pancreas disease, coeliac disease, thyroid disease, IBS.
If you do suffer from any other symptoms like abdominal pain, diarrhea, constipations, blood or mucus in stool you need some diagnostics. Abdominal ultrasound, full blood work, liver tests, amylase, stool tests should be performed.
Colonoscopy is advisable if constipations, diarrhea or any changes in stool are present.
If you find swallowing air most possible reason, you should avoid mentioned factors.
If your flatulence appears after some food, eliminative diet is necessary.
Please note that diagnosing flatulence as a single symptom is very hard and the reason can stay unknown.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Suffering from flatulence. How to get rid of this? 10 hours later
Thank you so much for your quick response doc.

About 5 months ago, there was blood in my stool. but it didnt continue. Theres lil hurting when i pass stool sometimes. Which specialist should i approach?

Is there any quick fix tablet to this problem for immediate relief?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 hours later

I cannot advise any specific medicine which can help you right away. Like I have mentioned before, flatulence is very complicated problem and giving exact reason from my point is impossible. Sometimes diet change can help (more fiber XXXXXXX products and mineral water intake, decrease soft drinks and fatty foods) but only if the diet is the reason.
Blood in stool is something what should be diagnosed. If it is fresh bright blood in the surface of the stool (not mixed with it), hemorrhoids are most probable reason. However, with other symptoms, further diagnostics is advisable.
I suggest you to visit gastroenterologist and first of all have physical examination.