Suffering from fever, body ache and weakness. Took Calpol but did not help. Suggest medication?

Hello Welldoer, I'm suffering fm continued fever (102-100 deg F) for last 3 days laced with bodyache n weakness. I took 3 x Calpol650 tabs daily but effort was subdued by profuse sweating n temporary fall of fever to 99 deg followed by another surge of heatup. Cud I use antibiotic like Altipod 200 for 5 days to combat my suffering, Doc? Thanks for yr attention. - Er XXXXXXX Banerjee (40), Salt Lake City, Kolkata
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 46 minutes later
Hi !

Thank you for your query.

Looking into your problem you have not mentioned any symptoms other than fever. In the absence of other symptoms, 3 days fever is not enough to recommend use of antibiotic like altipod. Injudicious use of antibiotics lead to resistance against them; beside that the don't have any significant role in treating viral infections.

As you mention that there is wet weather now in kolkata, the current episode of fever is most likely to be viral infection. I will suggest you to go for conservative management; keep yourself hydrated; continue paracetamol (calpol) to control fever and consider getting routine test like complete blood count, urine routine, smear for malarial parasite and so on. The results of the test can guide us further to the right treatment. If needed antibiotics can be started accordingly.

I hope this information suffices. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: Suffering from fever, body ache and weakness. Took Calpol but did not help. Suggest medication? 3 hours later
Oh yah, necessary blood tests revealed NAD. I forgot to mention. Fortunately apart fm fluctuating fever, bodyache n weakness/headache, I have no complaints. Before I retire this night after 1 Calpol 650 tab swallowed just now, I checked my fever to be as 100.8 deg, which was 100.7 deg at 2-30 pm when 2nd Calpol was taken. Now any further advice madam Doc? Good night n have a beauty sleep !
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 12 hours later
Hi !

Since your routine blood tests revealed no abnormality it is mostly a viral illness that you are suffering from . Generally viral illnesses take at least 5 - 7 days to be cured on their own . I will suggest you to continue with conservative treatment as suggested . Complete rest along with proper hydration is very much necessary for complete recovery .

If there is any other new symptom you can follow up with me.

Take care and get well soon.

Dr Shruti.