Suffering from dimorphic anemia. What should I do?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012

Question
hello sir i am suffring from dimorphic anemia ... what shoud i do
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 32 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, the picture you attached here, show dimorphic anemia.

But, I think you should repeat the tests from a reference laboratory. I am telling you this because, a complete hemogram is required for diagnosis of dimorphic anemia. MCV, PCV, MCH, MCHC, RDW all are important indicators of any abnormality.

The hemoglobin is really very low. You should consult with your treating doctor. Blood transfusion is required to bring the hemoglobin level at normal range.

But before that you should do a complete hemogram as I have told. If indicated, a bone marrow aspiration study is required for definitive diagnosis. Bone marrow aspiration should be done before blood transfusion.

In case of dimorphic anemia you just require iron and vitamin B 12 and folic acid supplements. That will be enough to treat.

In your age group it is quite common.

Lastly, you should consult with your treating doctor or a hematologist about the points I have mentioned and also for further management.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow-up: Suffering from dimorphic anemia. What should I do? 50 minutes later
Sir,
There is major problem of feeding, Local doctor has diagnose that lever is not functioning properly.
Please advise.

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 30 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, in case of malfunctioning liver, deficiency diseases are very common. But still, to rule out any other possibility bone marrow examination, if dimorphic anemia is diagnosed then nutritional supplements are required to improve the situation.

And whatever is the cause, blood transfusion is necessary to bring back the hemoglobin to a normal value.

Regarding liver problem, you should consult with a gastroenterologist.

Hope you have your answers.

Regards.

Follow-up: Suffering from dimorphic anemia. What should I do? 9 minutes later
Sir,
is there any test related to lever? can we know exact status of functioning of lever?

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 9 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, for liver functioning, you have to do a liver function test (LFT).

It will reflect the exact status of liver functioning.

Regards.