Suffering from dimorphic anaemia. What treatment and cure is required?

My mother is suffering from anemia since 1984 .She is now 65 years old. Her haemoglobin count used to be between 8-10 and in Feb 2013 it has come down to 3.9. In blood smear Microcytic hypochromatic to Marcocytic Hyperchromatic with roulouxe formation. Few target cells were seen and also aniscystosis and rouleaux formation.NO spherocytes or tear drop cells were seen.Rest was normal including WBC, Platelletes and total serum protein (6.8) test. Albumin and globlin within limits. Urea, creatine and uric acid normal. However, ESR was 160 and HCT 13.9. The diagonosis was made that of Dimorphic anemia with red cell roulouexe formation. Done marrow aspirations says Plasma cell 15% , binucleated plasma cells.Iron culture is normal,with increased iron binding capacity i.e. 250. Balance test normal.However B12 and Folic acid test shows lack of it .
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

As mentioned by you your mother suffers from dimorphic anaemia. She would be requiring iron, vitamin B12 and folic acid. Considering her low Hb of 3.5 g% it is advisable to get a few units of packed cell transfusions done.

Your mother would also need to be investigated for:
1. Any intestinal bleeding.
2. Serum iron level
3. Serum ferritin level
4. Stood for occult blood.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing your mother an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal