Suffering from diarrhoea, loss of appetite and stomach gas. How to get relief?

I have had a weeklong problem with diarreah, loss of appetite, and stomach gas...I saw my internist and he put me on a diet of XXXXXXX sauce, toast, and rice and doing a lab check on stool...My question is what can I do about the seems I am ingesting too much air making it difficult to 'belch' and clear my stomach and upper intestines?
Posted Thu, 25 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 5 hours later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini, Gastroenterologist and I am pleased to answer it.

It seems you have got infected with some stomach bug. The stool test you are doing will help to confirm the infection.

As far as the stomach gas is concerned, the common causes - excess air swallowing, ingestion of certain food and stomach bug.

To prevent excessive swallowing of air -
1. Check whether your dentures are properly fitting
2. Eat slowly
3. Avoid hard candies

Try to avoid gas producing food like beans, cabbage, broccoli, potatos.
Try to avoid dairy products for sometime.

Medications like Beano and simethicone will help to reduce gas.

You may also need to check your blood sugar levels as diabetes can slow down the stomach causing bloating. You may require a course of prokinetic medications in that case.

I hope that answers your question.

If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini