Ask a Dentist   »  

Suffering from depression. Suggested orbit chewing gum and saleva mouthwash. Is this OK?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
Saleva Mouthwash has been suggested for improving my saliva. For about more than 35 years, i have problem of slow/absence of saliva which has resulted in myself being a very slow at eating my food . I have also been through instances of severe depression several time during my childhood to current years and only yesterday a dentist had suggested link between antidepressant medicines and lack of saliva. He has suggested Orbit chewing gum as well as Saleva Mouthwash. I have also been subject to recurrent teeth problems which ahve been attributed to the lack of Saliva ( dryness). 2. Is the line of treatment tenable and can I regain good health through improved digestion following an increase in saliva ?
Posted Mon, 6 Aug 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 1 hour later
Thank you for the query. It is true that there is link between the antidepressants and lack of saliva, as a consequence the oral hygiene as well as chewing becomes problematic. You can talk to the doctor who has prescribed the anti-depressants. Continue using the mouthwash and orbit chewing. You can also start using Dry mouth Gel from GC company [your dentist can help you to get].
Please brush after every food to maintain good oral hygiene.
Hope this clarifies your query. If you want to clarify further you are most well- come.
With happy regards