Suffering from dandruff and hair fall. Is it safe to use mintop 2 solution and folica hair tincture?

Hello doctor,

I am having dandruff from around 6 years. I used different shampoos and it worked temporarily only. The dandruff is coming again. However I was not having much hair fall.
I am having same dandruff, but Now-a-days I am having more hair fall.

I used to apply more coconut oil to my hair. I stopped applying coconut oil now.
The main reason is oily dandruff. Due to this oily dandruff, it feels me like some oil is getting generated on my scalp, which is causing hair to weak.

I consulted dermatologist and she suggested to use below medicines.,
Sebifin 250 MG Tablets (tablet -- at bedtime) -- for 2 weeks
Androanagen Tablets (at bed time ) -- For 40 days
FOLICA Hair tincture (1 ml over scalp before dinner)
MINTOP Lotion 2% (1 ml over scalp after dinner)
XXXXXXX Lotion (20 to 30 min before shampoo -- twice in a week)

KERTYOL PSO Shampoo (twice in a week)

Please suggest is it good to apply "MINTOP Lotion 2% XXXXXXX and "FOLICA Hair tincture" both.

Also suggest is it Safe to use in combination of medicines of above?

Regards, XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 45 minutes later

The prescription given by your doctor is perfect. He has taken care of all the aspects of your dandruff problem.
1. Androanagen prevents from male pattern baldness (controls hair fall from frontal area of scalp)
2. Sebifin is an antifungal agent. This is must for you, as you had lot of fungal infections in past.
3. Mintop increases the blood supply to hair and hence increased the hair growth.
4. Kertoyl shampoo is a keratolytic, it helps in penetration of scalp lotions.
5. XXXXXXX is again an antifungal.
5. FOLICA hair tincture is a hair rejuvinator, it has no interaction with Mintop, so both can be used together.

I would like to add a point from my side, please ask your consulting doctor to prescribe you 5 % minoxidil (MINTOP).
We generally prescribe 2 % for females and 5% for males.

Feel free to ask any other doubt.

Follow-up: Suffering from dandruff and hair fall. Is it safe to use mintop 2 solution and folica hair tincture? 24 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for clearing my confusion.

I have 2 queries.
1) For how many months/years I need to use mintop? If i need to use mintop for lifelong, then do I also need to use any tablets lifelong?
2)I will start using all the above list of medicines prescribed by my doctor. However please suggest...every time before taking head bath do I need to use any hair oil (coconut oil/ olive oil / almond oil). Asking this question because, I had read in some blog that applying hair oil "1 to 2 hours" before head bath is good because it avoids direct interaction of "chemicals in shampoo" to hair. Please suggest.

Thanks again for your guidance.

Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 37 minutes later
You are most welcome.

Thanks for the follow up query.

Your first doubt is regarding duration for which MINTOP needs to be applied.

We advise lifelong use only in cases of androgenic alopecia.
From your history it seems, the cause for your hair fall is fungal infection, so in my view you need to apply it just for around 1 year.
If you feel that it is showing good results, you can continue it even lifelong.
There are very minimal side effects.

You don't need to continue tablets too long.

Sebifin tab to be taken for 2 months.
Androanagen has to be taken for 6 months.

The next query is regarding use of oil.

Please avoid all type of oil.
First, you are prone to fungal infection, and fungi grow well in oil.
Secondly, we must allow the medications to come in contact with scalp then only it will work.

Hope I cleared your doubts.

Thank you.