Suffering from constipation, tummy pain and taking laxatives for motion. What could be the cause for pain?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
my daughter is 7 yrs old and she has been complaining of tummy pain on and off since XXXXXXX She does suffer from constipation and is currently taking laxatives and is having a daily bowel motion, however the pain persists and she finds it worse at night when lying down and when doing physical activity like running. She sometimes describes it as chest pain, a wobbly tummy. What do you think the cause of this is? She is eating as normal.
Posted Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Constipation Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing to health care magic. Your daughter from your history as you described already has constipation. Laxatives are prescribed but the permanent solution would be more fibre in the diet in the form if fruits and vegetables. She also needs to drink atleast 2 to 3 litres liquids everyday. Avoid high fat foods. Loaded intestine would definitely cause more pain on lying down or running. Hope I answered your query. Would be glad to help you further. Regards Dr Arun
Follow-up: Suffering from constipation, tummy pain and taking laxatives for motion. What could be the cause for pain? 9 minutes later
Thank you for your reply, she eats very well + likes fruit + veg, I thought it was more than constipation this time as it has gone on so long+ the symptoms of chest pain+ needing to sleep propped up are new- she drinks about 2 litres of fluid daily?
Answered by Dr. Arun 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: Propped up - could be reflux Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for the details. If she wants to be propped up then it could indicate reflux of acid from stomach secondary to gastritis. You can try a course of Proton pump inhibitors like pantoprazole once daily 20 mg for a week or so and consult a gastro if symptoms persist. Regards