Suffering from cold, fever, running nose and nasal inflammation. What should I do?

Hello Doctor, My son aged nine (chronic asthma and allergy patient) is presently suffering from a severe case of cold, with symptoms such as running nose, frequent sneezing and nasal inflammation,accompanied by fever ranging between 99 to 101 degrees fahrenheit since the past two days. I have been giving him 10ml of calpol 250 mg almost 6-8 hourly but the condition still persists. What should I do to ensure that the condition does not worsen and take him down the antibiotic route? He has already taken almost 7 anitbiotic courses over the past 10 months. Also, could you please advise something that we could follow to ensure that he builds up immunity to avoid him falling ill very often The causes are mostly temperature fluctuation, besides pollens and dust exposure. Much thanks. Anxious mom
Posted Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Allergy has to be controlled by anti inflammatory Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Your son has allergy which is menifested as asthma. You have to control the inflammation which may be a result of allergy. Give him montair lc once a day and a inhaler like aerocort or seroflo, two puffs 2 to 3 times a day. For nasal allergy, a nasal spray like flixonase or metaspray may be used. If all these do not control the symptoms, a short course of oral steroids may help which you should give him after consulting his doctor. You may continue using calpol for fever. Though you say that he has taken many a courses of antibiotics, but the present exacerbation of his symptoms may be due to a superadded bacterial throat infection. If there is any evidence of infection like a raised blood TLC count with increased % of polymorhs(even fever can be a sign of infection), a course of antibiotics will help. As far as prevention is concerned, he should avoid dusty and smoky environment and extreme variation in temp. However his room should be well ventilated and XXXXXXX Bed linen should be sunned on regular basis. Avoid heavy tapestry in his room as it gathers allergens.He should take a walk in fresh, air at the same time protecting himself from cold. A healthy nourishing diet and avoiding junk food as well as processed food which contains preservatives, artificial colours and flavours will help in controlling allergy. Give him a vitamin supplement and Vit D supplement which is supposed to help in asthma.
Follow-up: Suffering from cold, fever, running nose and nasal inflammation. What should I do? 4 hours later
Dear Doctor, Thank you very much for your prompt reply! I am following the guidelines as recommended by you and will continue with the prescribed medicines. A small query with regard to the vitamin supplement - Can you recommend anything in particular and if so, what should be the dosage and the duration. Also, do you suggest an additional Vit D supplement alongside. Thanking you in advance for your timely reply as this has been a great help. Much thanks once again. Regards, Anxious mom
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 19 hours later
Brief Answer: Any vitamin supplement will do. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Sorry for the delay in replying to your query. I do hope your son is feeling better. As far as vitamin supplement is concerned, any preparation that you are giving him is good. Some which are available in the market are zevit, cobadex, A to Z and many more. A vitamin supplement will also have vit D in it and a diet rich in milk and milk products contain vit D. You may give him half a satchet of calciquick D3 to him once a month for a month or two. But this should not be taken for long, hence i suggest that you consult his paediatrician who can monitor his treatment properly. Take care.