Suffering from chronic sinusitis after having a mass benign mass removed. Why do I have vertigo?

I suffer from chronic sinusitus after having a mass benign mass removed from my ethnoid sinus region last year. I started getting nauseous with certain smells,and then began about 6 months ago on a daily basis each morning for about 20 minutes to vomit. I have had dizzy spells as well, where I lost balance and broke my left foot and just recently tripped and tore off my toenail. I constantly have headaches which are tension and sinus related. I sometimes get vertigo and see flashing white lights. I was treated for recurrent sinus infection at least 4 full weeks this year so far. I have been referred to an allergist and to a neurologist, have had 2 cat scans and 2 brain mri's. The first 2 shoed the mass which was removed, and the second two shoed only the total congestion in my sinus. What is the next step for me? What other tests need to be done? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 7 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
The symptoms you are having are related to chronically inflamed sinuses.
Chronically inflamed sinuses (air filled spaces in the nose) produce large amounts of mucus.

It drips down on the back of the throat (called post nasal drip) which causes constant clearing of the throat and headaches and lightheadedness due to sinus headaches. Post-nasal drip (PND) occurs when excessive mucus is produced by the sinuses and this sinus congestion can cause sinus headaches and dizziness as well.

You need to consult an ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat) specialist and get investigations done. These include an evaluation of the sinuses, a chest X-ray, blood tests like ESR (Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate) and C-reactive protein, trans illumination test and may be an X-Ray sinuses and CT (Computed Tomography) sinuses.

Till that time, inhale plenty of steam or use a humidifier. Eat small nutritious meals at frequent intervals instead of a heavy single meal. Exercise frequently and take your dinner atleast 2 hrs prior to bedtime.

Also raise the head end of the bed by 2 blocks. The golden rule for chronic sinus congestion is steam inhalation. Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the build up of mucus in your nose. This will reduce the dizziness and nausea. So do it 2-3 times a day.

Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day and use over-the-counter throat lozenges. Sucking hard candies and ginger lemon tea would also help in opening the sinus congestion.
You may also need nasal sprays containing antihistaminics or corticosteroids but these are to be taken under prescription.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Suffering from chronic sinusitis after having a mass benign mass removed. Why do I have vertigo? 13 hours later
Thank you for the direction on next steps to take. I just don't understand why I get so dizzy. Is it an inner ear problem causing this? I understand the nausea from the PND going into my stomach, but nothing alleviates it... Anyway, thank you for the advice. Take care.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
You feel dizziness as the PND causes congestion and infection in the middle ear too causing middle ear symptoms.
Taking steam inhalation will definitely help your symptoms.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.