Suffering from chronic hip pain. Taking chondroitin. Non surgical option to get relief from pain?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
My 77 year old father suffers from chronic hip pain. He has been taking chondroitin for many years with some success but the last 12 months has seen increasing pain to the area and an altered gait (slight limp). My father is a golfer but is finding this activity increasingly difficult. He takes panadol Osteo for pain management. He would like to explore non surgical options for management of this progressive problem. Would regenexx be an option for him?
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Progressively increasing pain in the hip associated with a limp could be due to a ligament tear, bursitis or infective arthritis in addition to osteoporosis he is already having.
Since these conditions can only be differentiated by an examination, I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray or MRI of the affected hip under his/her guidance to see any arthritic changes, joint destruction or any other pathology. You can also upload the X-rays here so that we can discuss this here. You can use 'Upload your reports' section.

Panadol osteo contains sustained release paracetamol which helps in the pain relief. It does not help with the actual pathology.
Regenexx is a oral muscle relaxant.
For symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to the hip- avoid weight bearing.
2. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants are recommended.
3. Hot compresses to the hip will be useful pain relieving measure. He may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.