Suffering from chest pain when moving neck or breathing deeply. Concerned

General Surgeon
i suffer from chest pain when i move my neck to extreme right or left or breath deeply or bend down ...i am at the age of 40
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 14 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

When you do move your neck, the spine discs are mobilized. If there is any spine disc herniation which does compress the nerve, it leads to the pain which can radiate to the chest. You may also suffer from headaches, backache, arm or hands numbness.
Muscle pain is also possible with such symptoms.
I suggest you to start with physical therapy like massages, pool swimming, warm compresses. If it wont help or the pain will be gradually getting worse, spine MRI and neurosurgeon consult is necessary.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Suffering from chest pain when moving neck or breathing deeply. Concerned 3 hours later
Hi dear sir,
thanks for replay
I do not have any backache. my main probelm is pain on chest wehn i move my neck, lying on side postion, and when i breath.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 hours later

Nerve compression is still possible. Chest pain when breathing is also characteristic for rib nerves irritation (compressed on the spine level). So physical therapy should help with it. You can also try Magnesium 400 mg once a day supplementation (it helps with nerves conduction). Diclophenac 50 mg twice a day should help with the pain, however it should not permanently. If your pain wont go away, MRI and neurosurgeon consult should be performed.
Just note that if any shortness of breath, dizziness, pain radiating to the left arm or jaw is also present, heart condition should be verified. In such case, heart ECG, stress test and cardiologist consult should be performed.

Hope this will help.