Suffering from chest pain. What are the risks?

Nov 2013

I sometimes get a chest pain when I sleep on my side...sometimes eiother side , which goes away when I lay flat on my back. If I lay on my side sometimes I can feel it coming on and wake and roll over so it goes away...obviously I sleep on my back a lot now .

I am not over weight but do have chest muscles and my heart is quite big through exercise the docotr said ....not enlarged
Posted Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I wish to reassure you that your current symptoms are not suggestive of any heart disease. Chest pain of cardiac origin is retrosternal (located in the centre of chest), is brought on by exertion, and is relieved by rest. In some cases, the pain may radiate from chest to left arm, usually along the inner aspect.

Moreover, you do not have any risk factors for heart disease (such as diabetes, high BP, high cholesterol, etc). Though I agree positive family history of heart attack is a risk factor!

The most likely cause of chest pain in your case is muscular pain (myalgia-related to chest wall muscles). If it is bothersome, you may use analgesics such as ibuprofen or use a local analgesic gel such as diclofenac gel. There is no specific investigation required at this stage.

I hope it helps. Plea get back if you have any further queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology)