Suffering from cervical spondylosis, symptoms of vertigo or reeling. How can I stop this?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have cervical spondilosys. at times i get reeling . how to stop this reeling occuring due to cervical spondylosys
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Reeling or vertigo in cervical spondylosis is a common symptom and treatment depends on the severity.
Mild cases might respond to neck collar braces, physiotherapy, and anti-inflammatory analgesics like ibuprofen etc.
More persistent cases may require injectable steroid and anaesthetic combination injections in inter-vertebral joints in the cervical vertebrae (facet joint), or muscle relaxant and analgesic combination drugs, or hospitalisation to give traction.
Considering your age and medical history, surgery should be the last option if other methods fail to provide any relief.
You can consider MRI with contrast if you have no history of drug allergy and the radiologist is aware beforehand of the exact medications you are taking. The radiologist should judge which XXXXXXX to be used and required strength after knowing your history and renal function blood tests like creatinine.
So kindly discuss the above issues with your orthopaedic surgeon and I hope your symptoms resolve or decrease with conservative management as your condition doesn't seem to be life threatening at present. But do go ahead with surgery if your doctor strongly advises it to prevent further complications.
Hope I have answered your query.
Follow-up: Suffering from cervical spondylosis, symptoms of vertigo or reeling. How can I stop this? 3 hours later
Thanks for the advise. But i would like to know, by chance the presence of syrinx came to light , if i have not undergone the MRI, i would never come to know. So if i do not know about it, what are the chances of my survival and how far could i have lived with the syrinx. kindly advise
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 5 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
You could have lived your whole life without even knowing about the syrinx, since in majority of cases it progresses very slowly over months to years. But in some untreated cases if there is any sudden strain or trauma on it, or the cause is progressive spinal cord degeneration or tumor, then there may be rapid progression and complications.
So, how much it can affect your life expectancy is difficult to say, as it will, depend on the progression. But I would say, you might live your average life expectancy or say next five or six years, if it remains static or minimally progressive and without complications.
I would advise that the best person to judge about the risk benefit ratio of surgery would be your Neurosurgeon.
so kindly get yourself completely evaluated and then discuss the treatment options with your neurologist.
Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.