Suffering from cardiomyopathy and mitral valve prolapse. What are the prevention to be taken?

Cardiologist, Interventional
My mother is suffering from cardio myopathy and take ?
Posted Sun, 10 Mar 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 7 hours later
Thank you for the query.

Cardiomyopathy is a very general term and only means a disease of the heart "muscle". There are different types of cardiomyopathy; broadly of 3 types - dilated, hypertrophic and restrictive. Primary or idiopathic cardiomyopathy is when there are no definite causes identified and secondary cardiomyopathy may be due to various well-defined causes like ischemia, toxins, deficiencies, metabolic problems, etc.

Since there are so many different conditions grouped under the term cardiomyopathy, it is not possible to tell you more about the prognosis, risks and treatment modalities without a more specific diagnosis. The echocardiogram of the heart and other routine tests in addition to the clinical picture is usually sufficient to clinch the diagnosis. If you do have those reports, you can send me copies through this site.

blood flow from the left atrium (receiving the pure blood from the lungs) and to the left ventricle (main pumping chamber of the heart). The valve prevents back flow of blood to the left atrium when the left ventricle pumps blood to different parts of the body.

In mitral valve prolapse, the valve tends to protrude back into the left atrium when the left ventricle pumps. As a result, there may be varying degrees of leakage of blood from the left ventricle to the left atrium.

The risks and treatment depends on the degree of leakage of blood (mitral regurgitation).

Most people with mitral valve prolapse have only minor degrees of prolapse and trivial or mild leakage which do not need any specific treatment. With more severe leakage, there may be a need for medication. Sometimes, surgery may be needed to repair or replace the leaking valve.

Annual echocardiography is recommended to identify the degree of leakage and the function of the valve and the heart. Also, it is necessary to promptly treat any infection at any part of the body (like respiratory infection, urinary infection) so that the germs do not spread and cause infection of the prolapsed valve. If there is significant leak, it is also better to take some antibiotics before any other surgery.

I hope this answers your query. Feel free to ask me for any further clarifications.

With regards,
Dr Raja Sekhar Varma, MD, DM
Consultant Interventional Cardiologist, XXXXXXX Hospitals-DSI, Bangalore