Suffering from cancer since 2 years. Medical report attached. Is the treatment correct ?

OBGYN, Gynecologic Oncology
Dear Sir/Madam
My Mother is suffering from Cancer since the past 2 years. At present she is being treated by Dr. XXXXXXX M XXXXXXX in AIMS Kochin Kerala , India.
I have attached Medical information with her case history details and present condition. Can you let us know if any treatment for this condition is presently available with you
Kind Regards

Posted Wed, 13 Jun 2012 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 18 hours later

I am sorry for the events that took place for your mother.

Since it is a recurrence of cancer the prognosis is poor. As you know the cancer cells were spread to all the sites in the body. The major organs like liver, lung are involved and they are making the treatment difficult. She is already developing difficulty to eat food.

The treatment of the recurrence depends on the time of presentation after initial treatment and the way it is presented. It seems to me that she presented with a blown picture again and after a year months. The initial treatment was according to the guidelines with platin group of drugs. The recurrence occurred towards the end of the initial treatment, in these situations, repeat surgery is rarely recommended as it is highly unlikely to improve length of life or quality of life. There are no known standard guidelines to treat such recurrence.

I think at this moment your mother needs only palliative treatment based on the symptoms that she has. This can improve her quality of life. The doctors should have tried everything now to palliate. These are called palliative surgeries.

I know you would be searching all over with a hope to revive her from the present state. I do not want to destroy them. You may please bring your mom to BGS Global Cancer Institute in Bangalore if possible. We will try to help her.

With best wishes