Suffering from calf pain and nausea. Blood test showed elevated liver enzymes. Any ideas?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have had two tests a month apart with elevated liver enzymes and have had calf pain for the past three weeks. Ultrasound today to detect clots was negative. Blood test yesterday shows elevated d-dimmer and liver enzymes. Nauseous as well, especially today. Any ideas what could cause this.
Posted Tue, 20 Nov 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The pain in the calf muscle that you are having could be due to-
1. Calf muscle strain and tear - Usually due to overwork and overstretching of the muscles. Recent increase in leg exercises may cause these. Gradual increase in exercise and pain killers with mild symptoms.
2. Prolonged intake of hormonal therapy like oral pills or HRT might cause this.
3. Muscle ischaemia- associated with diabetes usually. There is acute pain associated with it.
Sometimes, it can be due to dehydration, muscle fatigue or electrolyte abnormalities. It is better to drink sufficient fluid and also see that your intake of electrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium ) is sufficient. You can drink Oralyte for this.
The elevated liver enzymes with muscle pain could be due to intake of cholesterol lowering agents.
In case the pain is persistent then you need to get it evaluated by your physician to find out the exact cause.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.