Suffering from bleeding gums and stomach pain. Had gall bladder removed. Took antibiotic. Any solution?

ENT Specialist
Question
For almost two years I have had XXXXXXX saliva dried in my mouth first thing after lying down. There is always bright red blood mixed in it. I have had cameras up my nose and down my throat several times in ENT, an ultrasound of my neck, two cameras into my stomach, an MRI scan of my head and neck, haematology tests... All without explanation.

I have also been suffering from bleeding gums off and on, and have been for regular check ups at my dentist, who can't find anything wrong with my teeth or gums.

I had started to suffer from bad stomach pains, and it was discovered I had multiple gallstones. I have now had my gallbladder removed, but it has not made any difference to what is in my mouth every day.

The only thing that has ever lessened the bleeding, were three trial courses of antibiotics, lasting one and two weeks, then a lower dose for two months respectively. All stopped the bleeding but did not make my saliva clear.

I am now very much at my wits end and would love to find an explanation, and preferably a cure.

Any idea or suggestion, no matter how small, would be appreciated.
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 8 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing back

The symptom described by you seems to be of sphenoidal sinusitis. The bleeding associated with the greenish discharge is due to erosion of the minor capillaries in the mucosa following infection. That was the reason the bleeding was not noticed after taking antibiotics.

CT scan of the paransal sinuses is a better investigative procedure compared to that of MRI scan.

My advice to you is to use saline nasal spray 3-4 times a day, followed by steam inhalation and drink plenty of warm water (to help in hydrating the tissues, opening up of the sinuses and easy clearance of the mucus). Also, avoid smoking, chilled beverages and coffee for few days.

Hope with these medication the problems should resolve. Revert back to me if you have any further queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Suffering from bleeding gums and stomach pain. Had gall bladder removed. Took antibiotic. Any solution? 38 hours later
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to me and for your suggestion. I am very interested to try your suggestions. Have you seen these symptoms before then?

I have bought a saline spray and begun to use it yesterday as well as steaming and drinking lots of hot water. Before the time runs out on my question, a few follow ups please:

How long should I leave between using the spray and steaming?

How long should I steam for?

Approximately how long of using this treatment do you think it will be before I see some improvement?

Many thanks for your time.

Hi

Thanks for writing back

1. There should be a gap of at least 10 minutes after using the spray and before doing steam inhalation.
2. You should do steam inhalation for 3-5 minutes.
3. Till you are symptom free; at least for 3-4 weeks.

I wish you good luck and good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Suffering from bleeding gums and stomach pain. Had gall bladder removed. Took antibiotic. Any solution? 36 hours later
Thank you. I will follow your instructions. Obviously the spray and steaming makes you a little stuffy so you want to blow your nose. Should you resist because you are blowing away what just went in or is this the point - to clear things out?

Thanks again

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for writing back

Do not worry! Even though the above measures make our nose little stuffy, do not blow your nose forcefully. A gentle clearing of the mucus from the nose and throat will be sufficient enough to get rid of the loosened secretions.

Wish you good luck and good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon