Suffering from back and neck problem. B12 & D3 were low. Cannot sit or stand for long time. Help?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Dear Doctor,
I have a deskjob where I am required to sit long hours in office. I am suffering from Back & Neck problem, more acutely since the past 6-8 months. The ortho I attended last said that my B12 & D3 were very less & I must avoid any physio-therapy. The X-rays too are fine. I am following his instructions since the past 20 days but dont see any relief. The earlier doctor had suggested physio as well as similar medication.
I cannot sit/stand continuously for more than an hour & it aggravates as the day progresses.
Please help for the way forward.
Posted Mon, 9 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Problem seems to be mechanical in nature.

Detailed Answer:

After going through the entire description, I am of the opinion that you are suffering from what we call the industrial back ache.

The first step is to ensure that you maintain an appropriate posture while working on the computer. Take frequent stretch breaks and drink lots of water. Discontinue using pillow while sleeping straight. Do not lift heavy objects, especially after bending down. Eat a healthy wholesome meal which should satisfy your minerals and proteins requirement.

In my opinion you need regular physiotherapy exercises to strengthen the back and neck muscles. There are certain back strengthening and neck isometric exercises that you must learn from a physiotherapist and perform them at home or work whenever possible.

Multiple joint pain could be due to vit D3 deficiency. So I suggest you to get vit D3 level checked so that according to vit D3 level supplements could be started.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and informative and I will be glad to answer any further query.