Suffering from astinospermia. Taking treatment, now no HIV. Had safe intercourse. Will my wife be infected ?

hi doctor my name is XXXXXXX i have been suffering from astinospermia due to because of infections in my siemen. In the course of treatment almost like 4 years back i was tested for HIV and the test prooved that i don't have it. I have been married for 4 years and still i am not able to fathe a kid. Me and my wife had intercourse only once and after that we were using condoms while doing intercourse , recently we didn't had any intercourse. We have planned to go test tube baby. Is there any possible that my wife would have got infections that i am carrying and possibly we both bieng infected with HIV
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Infertility in your case can be due to two reasons:

1)Astheospermia which is is the medical term for reduced sperm motility. It decreases the sperm quality and is therefore one of the major causes of infertility or reduced fertility in men. Causes of complete asthenozoospermia include metabolic deficiencies, ultrastructural abnormalities of the sperm flagellum and necrozoospermia. Even overheating excessive heat from saunas, hot tubs, etc. and smoking may decrease sperm production. It is not due to infections that your wife may be carrying.

2) Second cause is that only one act of intercourse may need not cause pregnancy. Pregnancy occurs only during the time of ovulation. Ovulation is the release of a single, mature egg from a follicle that developed in the ovary and occurs on day 14 of a menstrual cycle. So for pregnancy, intercourse should be as close to ovulation as possible.

Unfortuantely there is really no effective treatment available today for increasing the sperm motility and for pregnancy alternative therapy such as IVF and ICSI should be opted for. Have intercourse close to ovulation and if there is no pregnancy then consult a fertility expert to discuss the options of ICSI and IVF.

It is good that your HIV status is clear but suspected HIV positive status of your wife will not effect your sperm motility. Get her HIV status also checked before going in for ICSI/ IVF.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.