Suffering from anxiety, depression, panic disorder. Fluctuating blood pressure. Stopped hypertension medication. Advice?

I have been on blood pressure medication. Everyday I would feel like my head was going to explode. I suffer from anxiety, depression and panic disorder. I took my blood pressure and it was 119/97 then it was 99/69 a few minutes later. I am off the blood pressure medication right now my doc and I want to find out if it is the wrong medication for me. I do not understand can you advise me please? Pulse was 92 when it was 119/97.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.

It may be that the medication you were taking is interacting with some of your other medications. It would take about 10 days for the medication to completely wash out of your system. At that point you can reassess your blood pressure and talk about other alternatives.

In looking at possible alternatives we would consider a low dose beta blocker such as Atenolol or Metoprolol. These medications can be started at very low dose and titrated to good effect over time.

It is possible the Lisinopril caused the strange sensations you experienced. In a week or so your doctor can reassess and consider alternative medications for you. There are many many medications which could be used in addition to beta blockers.

For the time being, I would suggest you to check the blood pressure twice daily and keep a record of this to share with your doctor.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concern I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga