Suffering from anal itching. Prescribed Zentol and topical cream. Am I suffering from worms?

Question
I am from India. I am suffering from anal itching for very long. I have previously consulted a doctor and received the suggestion to have medicine called "zentol" for worms and apply an ointment near anus. Whenever I apply the ointment, it gives me temporary relief but itching comes back soon again. I don't think "zentol" really works for me. I also had "zentol" 2 consecutive days ( 1 per day at night) but that too did't help. I have attached the prescription from doctor. Can you please advise. Am I suffering from worms? I also feel "fatigue" most of the time. If I am suffering from worms, can you suggest a better medicine? Or can I increase the dosage of "zentol"?
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to diagnose/rule out parasites with tests

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

There are various symptoms of a parasite infection, and anal itching is one of them. But to confirm a parasite infection, certain tests need to be conducted, without this you cannot confirm a parasite infection.

If I were your doctor I would order the following investigations:
-Stool examination
-A colonoscopy
-Blood investigations
-CT scan or x-ray

Please go about the above mentioned investigations if you are suspecting a parasite infection. But, I should also add that there can be various causes for itching around the anus like hemorrhoids, pruritus ani, anal fissures, etc.

So you will have to visit your doctor and get the above mentioned investigations to rule out/diagnose parasite infection, and these investigations will also help to suspect other conditions mentioned above, these along with a physical examination will surely help.

I hope you found my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Suffering from anal itching. Prescribed Zentol and topical cream. Am I suffering from worms? 11 hours later
Before I go for complete analysis, I would like to explore the possibility of increasing the dosage of "zentol" or try having a different medicine which can be safely tried. Is it safe to have "zentol" 4 or 5 consecutive days(1 each per day)?

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Try mebendazole 500 mg for 10 days

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again.

You could try zentel (albendazole) two tablets a day for 5 days or if I were your doctor I would prescribe a more effective anti-helmenthic called mebendazole 500 mg twice a day for 10 days. You could speak to your doctor and initiate the same course.

Hope this helps. Do keep in touch with me about the response you experience.

Follow-up: Suffering from anal itching. Prescribed Zentol and topical cream. Am I suffering from worms? 1 hour later
Twice a day means morning and night ? Before or after food ?

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Morning & evening; with meals

Detailed Answer:
Hi sir.

This medication can be taken before or after meals, but is best taken with meals. So please take the medication with your breaksfast and once and dinner (i.e. morning and evening).

Hope this is clear sir. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. Keep me up to date about your response, as our next step will be decided only based on your response.

Take care and best of luck.

Follow-up: Suffering from anal itching. Prescribed Zentol and topical cream. Am I suffering from worms? 21 hours later
I was able to find mebendazole 100mg tablet only(attached), named "Mebex". Whats the name for 500mg tablet. By name, I mean like "Mebex" for 100mg ..?

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mebendex, vermox, neomex

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again sir.

Please try the following brand names for mebendazole 500 mg, but it would be best for you to be under the supervision of a doctor in your region, that way if you experience any side effects you can report to your doctor immediately. But as per your request, mebendazole 500 mg is available under the following brand names:
-Vermox
-Neomex
-Mebendex

If by chance you do not get the 500 mg supplement, then you can start on the 100 or 200 mg tablets, to be taken thrice a day for the next 10-14 days. Do keep me informed sir.

Hope this information helps. Take care.

Ok. Another related question. Can worm infection cause "tiredness" ( fatigue) to a person? I feel tired most of the time and wondering this could be the cause?

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes parasite infections cause exhaustion

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again sir.

Yes of course sir, a parasite infection can easily result in exhaustion. As the parasites start multiplying, they increase in number and start consuming most of the food eaten, blood and flesh, which leaves less nutrition for the host and leads to exhaustion.

Other common causes of exhaustion are anemia and nutrient deficiencies.

Hope this information helps you sir.

Follow-up: Suffering from anal itching. Prescribed Zentol and topical cream. Am I suffering from worms? 6 hours later
Ok. I remember Doctor told me it is recommended to have medication for worm eradication once in 6 months. After the current medication, if I plan to take mebandazole 100mg after 6 months, what is the recommended dosage?

Brief Answer:
Three times a day for 10 days

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again sir.

The recommended dose would be mebendazole 100 mg three times a day (before/with/after meal) for 10 days.

I hope this helps sir. Wishing you all the best with your health.