Suffering from abdominal pain, diarrhoea and feeling fatigue. What treatment should be done?

Jan 2013

Hi I have been unwell for about ten days. It started with extreme abdominal pain and diarrhoea, fatigue. Felt like food poisoning. Came on just after return from middles east. Diarrhoea has subsided but faeces a bit mucusy and paler than normal; feels like gastroenteritis but no vomiting. Abdominal pain centred up left side.
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 13 minutes later
Yes were suffering from acute gastroenteritis. Most likely you got infection after trip to middle east.
After any type of gastro-intestinal infection, normal intestinal bacterial flora may get changed and feces may contain mucus and little bit paler in nature.
Persistence of abdominal pain indicates that infection is not cleared out completely.You should complete the antibiotics course. Besides this, you should also take probiotics (containing normal bacterial flora similar to intestine).
You should also avoid milk for 5-7 days.
Let me know your query if you have.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Suffering from abdominal pain, diarrhoea and feeling fatigue. What treatment should be done? 9 minutes later
Hi dr,
Thank you for this ; I have been taking probiotic and will continue to do this. I also have been taking chamomile and peppermint tea. The pain is getting less day by day but is still there sometimes. Should I still need antibiotic?
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 9 hours later
You can continue chamomile but peppermint has been labeled as culprit for acidity increasing agents at few places. So you should avoid peppermint.
You should take complete antibiotic course.
Dr. Mayank Bhargava