Suffering from Vocal cords nodules. Suggestion?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
Hi Doctor,

I am suffering from Vocal cords nodules.
PFA the reports in this regards
Posted Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 16 hours later
hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Fisrt of all my apologies for not getting back to you earlier as I was stuck in a case.

Let me also assure you that vocal cord nodules are very common and are very much treatable by many means available.

I have personally performed over five hundred surgery on the vocal cords and the nodules are very amenable to teatment. But you should understand that the chief treatment should come from your side. Even if I remove the nodules, you need to maintain the vocal hygiene which I will enumerate.

If you have vocal nodules then it means that you are straining your voice in some way or the other and this has to be investigated and stopped.

First let me tell you what to do in steps
1. If vocal cord nodules are big and bilateral and chronic (more than 3 months), then you need to get them surgically removed by a simple procedure under anaesthesia. I can arrange for that so just let me know
2. Pre operatively and post you need to maintain vocal hygiene, you may search for the same in the net and also consult a speech therapist. This includes things like not straining your voice, avoid cold items, avoid whisper and scream and taking steam inhalation to name a few. Many times if properly followed, the vocal hygiene can reduce or even cure the nodules!!
3. Take anti reflux measures like avoid oily, spicy and high flavoured food, take anti reflux medication like Pantoprazole and weight maintenance. The anti reflux tablets your treating doctor will know.
4. Nodules are not CANCER so you do not have to worry. However you need to send them for pathology examination after surgery so that you can be very sure.

All the above instructions are if your diagnosis is vocal cord nodules. I have this doubt because in accordance to your report the doctor has mentioned that the cords are fleshy and not mentioned any nodule. I would obviously have to see to to confirm..

If The cords are just fleshy then simple vocal hygiene and anti reflux measure are fine

hope you have some clearer picture of your problem.

I will always be happy to answer any more doubts

Dr Sriram Nathan