Ask a Urologist   »  

Suffering from Urinary incontinence. Taking telpres, cvmet for blood pressure and sugar

Hello, i am 59 yrs old since last few week i have the problem of incontinence off and on,and it happens in night only,i use cpap for sleep apnea,few drops of urine or or sometimes more comes out,when i m in sleep.i consulted my family doc he prescribed Tamlocept-D 1tab at night and Torque 2mg 1 after lunch.for blood pressure i am taking Telpres MT 50 1 in morning and for sugar CVMET (metformin500+voglibose 0.2) 1 after lunch and things are prostate is normal i have done ultra sound residual remain of urine was pl advice me for this incontinence,it is very worried. Thanks. XXXX
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Anti-cholinergic drugs might be more useful

Detailed Answer:
What your family doctor has prescribed is not a bad choice, but if you have not obtained relief, you can try newer drugs. If you are passing urine with a good force (which can be easily checked by a urologist who has a machine called Uroflowmeter with him), you can stop the drug called Torq, and try using the medication called Darifenacin, starting at 7.5 mg or Solifenacin 5 mg once a day, and see if you obtain relief. These drugs might aggravate narrow angle glaucoma and may cause dryness of mouth in higher dosages and therefore are prescription drugs and I think you might have to consult a Urologist before you can obtain the drugs from the chemist shop. There is no reason to discontinue the drug Tamlocept D at present.
I am sure you will have relief.
You can also try some general measures such as restricting your fluid intake in evenings after 6 pm and going to toilet before bed.
Hope I have been able to help you.
Follow-up: Suffering from Urinary incontinence. Taking telpres, cvmet for blood pressure and sugar 2 hours later
hello,thanks for prompt reply.i will start with Dariten OD what time should i take it ? because at night i take Tamlocept-D so can i take Dariten at 4 PM. pl guide me.
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can take at same time as Tamlocept D

Detailed Answer:
There is no reason to take the medicines separately. You can take them together at the same time, especially considering that your problem is predominantly at nights. Let me know if you have no relief, and we will see if we need to adjust dosage, as right now 7.5 mg is the starting dose.
Darifenacin can cause mild dryness of the mouth, but I would suggest that you do not increase your water intake too much, but take only sufficient amounts to prevent the throat from getting parched.