Ask a Urologist   »  

Suffering from UTI. On antibiotic and ofloxacin. Looking for advice

I am 28, female have good health faced UTI just 2 month, consulted to doctor and taken full medicine like ofloxacin (TAXIM) etc, got relief but again im facing when i had intercourse with my hubby, now again taken 15 days antibiotic but no relief now, then gone to pathology and after urine checkup, It is clearly E-Coli Bacteria, colony count more than 0000 CFU/ml, now i m very please advise me what should i take.
Posted Thu, 8 Nov 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 18 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX
BASED ON THE report, the following is advisable---

1. If you have fever or nausea, Amikacin injection is needed for 3 to 5 days - if kidney function tests in the blood are normal.
2.If there is no fever, NITROFURANTOIN long acting form - needs to be taken for ten days at full strength.
3. After ten days, it is worthwhile taking half the dose for 3 months to prevent recurrence.
4. Ultrasound scan to check for urinary tract obstruction/urine stasis.

Methods to prevent UTI are---

1. Compulsory bladder emptying at bed time.
2. Emptying the bladder before and after sex.
4. Cleaning the anus from front to the back rather than back to the front direction - to prevent bacteria from moving from the anal side to the front side (Infection bacteria is from inside the body only and not from outside)

Hope this helps, kindly get back for queries if any---

Get well soon,
Follow-up: Suffering from UTI. On antibiotic and ofloxacin. Looking for advice 30 minutes later

I have following queries before going further action:

1.I did not make test of kidney function in the blood, but feel nausea usually at night and also in the morning, so please advise me If I need KIDNEY FUNCTION TEST,
2. In the case of Amikacin Injection, is there no need to take oral medicin?
3. If I have to take NITROFURANTOIN, then frequency of this medicine in the day?

Please advise me also If I need Ultrasound scan test. if both are necessary then I will go for both.
Thanx Doctor
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 47 minutes later

Welcome back.
1. Renal function tests ( urea and creatinine ) are a must and especially before administering amikacin. Ultrasound scan is part of the evaluation and if there is some difficulty to access the scan center now, it can be done after you become better, electively.
2. Oral medicines to be started after the injection is over, if injection is started.
3. NFT is twice daily if long acting (which will be written on the tablet and also the prescribing doc will know) and thrice daily if regular one.

Wishing you best health,