Suffering from SVT for several years, having episodes of disability. What can be done?

I have been suffering from SVT for several years, I have documented trips to the E.R. for atleast 14 visits in 3 years ... sometimes going twice in a period of 4 days. I have had to be taken 3 times by ambulance from my job over a 16 month period. I can go a few months without an episode but have had 3 episodes in as many days, on 2 occassions I have had 2 episodes in a 24 hour period. I am age 50 and was wondering if I should apply for disability.
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

You might need to consult the cardiologist first, especially a cardiologist specialized in cardiac rhythm abnormalities called the Rhythmologist. This is so because a proper evaluation, with proper ECG, doppler cardiac ultrasound and other electrophysiological tests could be useful to orient specific management protocols that would greatly improve your quality of life and reduce the number of times you need to visit the emergency room.

It should be difficult for a disability to be granted without actual proof that the existing evidence based therapeutic options have all be used and have failed. You will need to contact your cardiologist for detailed testing once again and follow up. IN case it fails, with his written report, it would be very easy and justified to apply for disability.

For now I suggest you XXXXXXX your cardiologist to exhaust all existing options first, for there still are many (especially when cardiologists - rhythmologists) are involved. It s only after this the he could then write a proper report which would back you during the application process.

Thanks a hope this helps. Do not hesitate asking further questions if need be.

Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.