Suffering from Polycystic kidney disease, hypertension, hypothyroidism, high BP. Take teliesta? Can BP effect kidneys?

My mother is suffering from ADPKD(Polycystic kidney disease). She is suffering from hypertension since 1985 and hypothyroidism since 1990.

From the past 3-4 days her Blood pressure has been in the range of 165-180/90-100. Her current medication includes the following

Cap Nefita (1**)
Cap Rocaltriol(1**)
S Numlo 5Mg(1**)
Tab Eltroxin(thyrocare)(1**)
Tab Shelcal 500 mg(* 1 tab noon * i tabe evening)
Inj Transfer 4000 I.U (once a week)

She also used to take teliesta 40Mg till September. Our nephrologist asked us to stop the medicine as the creatinine levels had swelled up considerably.

The latest KFT results(November) are

S.Creatinine - 3.2
Urea - 90.00
Uric Acid - 7.5

Hemoglobin - 13.00
PTH - 313
Cholesterol- 201

Would it be advisable to start Teliesta 40(after dinner) again along with the medicines she is currently taking. I am concerned as the BP levels are high and this can have an impact on the kidneys. Please let me know you thoughts about the same.

Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 7 hours later

Your mother is in the right line of treatment for poly cystic kidney but for the hypertension. The Blood pressure should come down to 130-140/80-90 range.

Among the various drugs that she is on right now S-Numlo is an antihypertensive which contains Amlodepine which is infact a very good anti hypertensive for this particular condition. It belongs to the group of calcium channel blockers.

Tab Telista is Telmisartan which is an angiotensin receptor blocker, it is a wonderful drug with good qualities such as nephroprotective action and cardio protective action however the major side effect of this is increase in potassium, so in a Chronic kidney disease patient it can be sometimes contraindicated because of chronic renal failure itself causes retention of potassium.

In other words, Telista can only be re started provided potassium is in the normal limits. You have not given me the potassium values, so I can not tell you if he can re start the tablet.

Your mother needs further control of hypertension, smart thing to do right now is to give s Numlo in the night as well. Please consult your nephrologist before doing so. Do not take this as my prescription as it needs physical evaluation.

In the mean time, please follow these advice.

1. Restrict fluid to 1 litre per day.
2. Avoid fruits, especially banana, oranges, sweet lime.
3. Avoid eggs.
4. Please visit a doctor immediately in case you have vomiting, loose motion, fever. Do not self medicate at these times.
5. Avoid traveling unsupervised.

I hope I have answered your query, in case you dont have any further queries please accept my answer.

I wish you and your mother good health.