Suffering from IBS. Test showed deficiency of Vitamin B12 and calcium. Taking pankeroflat and vibact. Suggest?

General Surgeon
Hello Doctor, I have been suffering from IBS for the past 10 years..Tests reveal that I have less of Vitamin B12,Calcium..etc and no pathogens found in stool test..But my diarrheal bouts will be ok only if i take Cifran-oz.
i am also taking pankeroflat, Vibact on a daily basis..

Kindly advise
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2013 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 17 minutes later

I am Dr Shareef, a general surgeon answering your query.

It will be helpful if you could tell me the tests and investigations with their reports on the basis of which you were diagnosed as having irritable bowel syndrome so that I can give you further professional advice.

Also what about your food habits ?
Do you eat frequently from outside ? If it is so, I will suggest you to avoid all kinds of food specially fast food and open juices from outside stalls. You should modify your food habits to more of fresh vegetables, and fruits with enough liquids. Also add fresh curd daily in your diet.

The low calcium and vit B12 can be managed by taking added supplements under supervision of your treating doctor.

I would also suggest you to go for a thyroid and parathyroid hormone profile if not done yet.

Your reply to the above is awaited. Till then, you can continue your taking enzymatic preparation and probiotics as before with the dietary modifications as advised.