Suffering from Crohn's disease and multiple sclerosis. On Canadian crutches. Massive leak in aortic valve and undergone many surgeries. Cure?

Cardiac Surgeon
I have recently found that I have a massive leak in my aortic valve, I will be sent to a cardio asap. My question is i am being told after many abdominal surgeries that I will have to have it the old fashioned way. Why would that be? I know ive had over 30 surgeries on my abdomen but cant they do it the new way, I also have issues with veins rupturing on their own constantly. I have pain in my arms both of them that nitrostat relieves almost instantly. I am terrified and my doc is not really giving me much relief from my fears. I have massive dizzy spells daily, currently I live in an apt that is two story and he suggested I apply for one that is one story, will this help? Is it alright to stay in a two story with my only bathroom on the top floor, he is telling me that I am putting to much stress on my heart by doing the stairs so many times a day as I also have crohns disease causing me to run to the br a lot and MS of which I am on canadian crutches for, I cannot walk without them. That is another question I had how is my recovery from open heart going to be hindered because I cannot walk without the crutches. I realize any answer I get is not enough I have to get the final answer from the cardiologist but until I see them I have answers I need and am not finding them online. I just need a little peace of mind, I have had one surgery in the past that my heart stopped on the table and they had to shock me back, I have had two heart attacks in my 20's and a stroke a few years ago with no lasting effects. I stay so tired all the time I am assuming it is from the heart I also have major dizzy spells to the point I feel as if I may pass out on a daily basis. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. also forgot to add is there any place online i can go to that will show me exactly what to expect post op? I would love to know what to expect, from what i am reading I will have tons of tubes attached to me afterwards, I would like to know what type and I realize I will be in major pain of which they will treat me for to keep me comfortable, with my past history I know logically if I have a tube down my throat I will try to pull it out, will the keep me sedated to stop me from doing this? I just want to know what to expect step by step and what I should prepare my family for. I am also thinking of having them video tape every step is this a good thing to do?
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. F. Sadruddin Shariff 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Relax it is just another routine cardiac surgery

Detailed Answer:

I understand from your question is that you have been advised an open heart surgery (aortic valve repair or replacement) for your Aortic valve regurgitation. please Relax as it is one of the common procedure done in cardiac surgery. AVR is done under general anesthesia and you shall not be aware of the procedure at all.

First of all there will be preoperative investigations done to asses the fitness and the risk level of the procedure and as your age is 44 years your cardiologist may perform a preoperative coronary Angiogram to know if there is any coexisting coronary artery disease. once the surgery is scheduled you shall be given preanesthetic medications to calm you and then wheeled into the OT Complex, where you shall be administered General Anesthesia as well as placing few cannulae (not tons of tubes) one in the arterial system to monitor your BP continuously, another central line to administer medicines and fluids in one of the large veins besides the endotracheal tube for anesthesia and ventilation.

There shall also be a catheter inserted for the urine to pass out. All these lines are for your safety and they will be taken out once you are safe and are going out of the INTENSIVE CARE. There are few centers which do this surgery through a minimally invasive way but it all depends upon what you need and the centre and the surgeon involved.

There is no need to video record all the steps involved.

Postoperatively once you regain consciousness and power and are stable surgically and cardiologically you will be taken off the ventilator. you shall also be administered antibiotics and pain killers as necessitated by your threshold for pain and protocols being followed by that unit. You will also be monitored for a further period of a day of two and then shifted out of the Intensive care.
I have answered the question in a very broad manner, few things may vary from place to place and surgeon to surgeon and from different protocols which should not worry you as the principles are usually the same.

Your MS may not come in the way of your recovery as much by itself may cause some disability .
All your symptoms attributable to Aortic Regurgitation will abate due to the surgery.

Thanks and all the best for your Surgery