Suffered with pneumonia and pleurisy. Having hypothyroidism. What could be the cause?

After going to the doctor with severe fatigue a blood test was done results were Free T4 - 8.3 TSH - 56
Commenced on oroxine 100 mcg dly.
I suffered with pneumonia and pleurisy/ hospitalised for 10 days home for 3 then blocked bile duct resulting in removal of gall bladder in August . Would this have resulted in hypothyroidism?
Posted Sat, 26 Jan 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 2 hours later
Dear Madam,

I am extremely sorry to hear of your ill health for a fairly ;long period of time; however, none of the above mentioned ailments-pneumonia, pleurisy or choledocholithiasis shall cause hypothyroidism.

Hypothyroidism can happen to anybody at any age without any specific reasons. The good thing is that you have been diagnosed and started on treatment in time.

Rajiv goel