Suffered minor stroke due to atrial fib, was on coumadin. Taking lovenox and having shoulder replacement. Chances of stroke?

I am having a shoulder replacement on 4/29. I am taking coumadin due to atrial fib. I stopped my coumadin on April 24th and today April 26 I received 90mg of Lovenox and will receive 2 more injections. Due to the atrial fib, which I did not know I had, I suffered a minor stroke in January 2013. It was resolved. My fear is having another one during surgery or after. What are the chances of that and how would my surgeon know if I was having one during the surgery.
Posted Fri, 24 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 36 minutes later
Thanks for your health concerns.

If you have been adequately blood thinned for several weeks, more than 4, with adequate INR's your chances of stroke decrease remarkably, even if you are taken off the coumadin a few days prior to surgery; your doctors will examine you and talk to you several times before and after the procedure to see if thera are any behavioral or physical changes that might indicate a stroke.

Hope this helps with the question, wish your the best health,

Dr Brenes-Salazar
Mayo Clinic Rochester