Suffered from calcaneum fracture. What are the complication for a surgery?

General Surgeon
Question
my wife suffered an calcaneum fracture last week, should i opt for a surgery , what are the complexities, or should i follow any procedure.......... XXXXXX
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 3 hours later

Calcaneaum fracture also known as Lover's fracture is a fracture of the calcaneal bone or heal bone. It can be treated conservatively (non surgical) or by invasive surgeries.

Calcaneum fractures is treated conservatively with simple plaster (POP) and it gives good results, however it can be done only in extra articular fractures. As calcaneum is cancelous bone healing is good with extra-articular fractures with simple POP.

Displaced intrarticular fractures will require surgical intervention within 3 weeks of fracture.

So identifying the type of fracture will decide the type of treatment.

Complications of this fracture include skin blisters which may get infected. If medical attention is delayed it can lead to necrotizing fasciitis or osteomyelitis, causing irreparable muscular or bone damage.
Ligament and tendon may be involvement in some case and should also be explored too. Achilles tendon injury can also be seen.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

“Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”

Follow-up: Suffered from calcaneum fracture. What are the complication for a surgery? 4 hours later
seeing the report which i have posted is it a extra articular fracture or intrarticular fracture

Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 19 hours later
Hello

Welcome again.

I appreciate your efforts to post the reports here. The X-ray is suggesting an intrarticular fracture and is just a one week old.

In my opinion surgical intervention will give better result. As patient's age is just 28 years, so painless early healing is desirable. Discuss with your orthopedician at the earliest.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any other queries.