Suffer shaking hands and arms. No diabetics. What can be done in this situation?

yes, ... I have an 8 yr old granddaughter who, for the past several years, has me worried with her shaking hands and arms... this happens whenever she does anything... she has been checked for diabetes and thankfully is not diabetic, however this condition has me very concerned... I really thought she would have grown out of this... what can I do to help in this situation? what could cause this to happen?
Posted Thu, 29 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 36 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

With the description provided by you I can think of two conditions:
1. Tic.
2. Convulsions.
It is very unlikely to be convulsions. However, clinical examination and EEG can help us in excluding it.

With the history of divorce I am more inclined to think in terms of tic. You mentioned that this happened before the divorce but the child understands the family problems and must be seeing the developments in the family. It is better if you consult a child psychologist who may help you in this matter.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or if you would like to share more facts.

Wishing your granddaughter all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal