Suffer from swollen lips and feeling pulsation. Had bouts of angioedema. Taken cetirizine. Having itching all over face. Treatment?

Hi i am a 26/F, dentist by profession, i have had several bouts of angioedema, though i have not got it checked yet, but the symptoms are pretty much the same as i have read in oral pathology.
My lips tend to swell up for no reason, usually at night, it starts with a feeling of pulsation in the area. that's how i know it will swell up. I take a cetirizine, and sometimes it stops, sometimes it doesn't.
Affected my lip 3 years back once
In the past 2 months, the occurrence has been very frequent, like twice in a month.
Since a month, my hands sometimes feel itchy and swell up a bit especially when i am in the clinic.
Most recent account was 4 days back, i had a fever (101.5 C), i took a paracetamol ( Crocin Advance) and slept, The next morning my lips were swollen, fever was 99.9 i took another paracetamol after meals, then slept, i woke up at 4pm with itching all over my face, scalp and body. My left undereye area was swollen, left part of forehead was swollen, lip swelling had subsided. Went to a physician, she advised me Lorfast MT for 5days. The swelling went away next day.
Since that day, my eyeballs feel tender on pressing lightly with finger.
What is the diagnosis doctors? and how should i go about my treatment?
Posted Sun, 14 Jul 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Guru 1 hour later

Your problem may possibly be due to allergy to some things which is strongly supported by control of symptoms by antihistamines like cetrizine, loratidine. These allergens need to be carefully identified by you in daily life. The allergy may also be due to paracetamol based on your description. We can get a confirmation by doing skin-prick tests which will be useful to know about IgE-mediated allergy. A number of tests including RAST tests and ELISA tests measure allergen-specific IgE in the serum.

For these kind of problems, identification and avoidance of the possible allergens itself is the mainline of treatment. Antihistamines are used only to give symptomatic relief.

Hope this helps!