Ask a Urologist   »  

Suffer from panic attacks. Done with CT scan. Explain results? Could it be cancer?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
Can you plz explain this results to me, is there and obstruction? Could it be cancer? What can cause this? Is this an emergency? I'm schedule to see a urologist on7-24-13 but since I suffer from panic attacks I've been scared with this results!! Plz tell me if it can be cancer?
Posted Sat, 20 Jul 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 4 hours later
Hello
Thanks for your query.Based on the incomplete report of your C.T Scan of the abdomen and no information regarding your symptoms it is difficult for me to make any comments on your query.
I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) What are your complains now as regards urinary complains ?
2) Had you undergone CT scan in March 2009 and what was the reason for doing CT scan at that point of time and what were the findings.?
3) You have posted only page 1 of the report of CT scan,rest 2 pages are missing .Will you please post the complete report.

From the report that you have posted I can just say that your Right Ureter is dilated from kidney up to UV junction (Where ureter joins the bladder) due to either pressure from outside or due constriction of the wall of the ureter due to congenital defect in the musculature of the terminal ureter (Intra mural Part of the Ureter) what is called as Congenital Primary Obstructed Mega-ureter.

Please post rest two pages of report to confirm my comments.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Suffer from panic attacks. Done with CT scan. Explain results? Could it be cancer? 2 hours later
Answers to your questions,

1.) i only had pelvic and rectal pain, there's time that I feel as if a little bit of urine is about to come out by itself but I've never had that incident. Other than that no complains.
2.)ct od 2009 was for pelvic pain as well and all was normal!
3.) i uploaded pages 1 and 2 page 3 is blank.

Could the Ct scan have missed a stone?
Could it be cancer?
Is this dangerous/serious?
If I had urine backed up in my kidney would it show?
Could it be a tumor and the scan maybe missed it?
What exams is the urologist doing?

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Hello
Thanks for feed back.
Your CT scan report shows dilatation of the ureter which ay be due to extrinsic pressure over terminal part of the ureter due to uterus which is deviated on Right side or it could be due to congenital narrowing of the ureter (Stricture),
This can be confirmed only on doing one more radiological test called as Intravenous Pyelography(IVP) where entire urinary system is visualised and one can find out the cause of obstruction of ureter.

Even a smallest mass (Tumor)or Stone ) is detected by CT scan hence there are no chances of cancer any where in bladder,ureter or any organ in pelvic cavity.

Please go ahead and get IVP done .Further treatment will depend upon the findings of IVP.

This is curable and nothing to be worried about it.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

So it's noting serious? Sorry it's bcuz I suffer from anxiety/panic attacks and I've been freaking out.

How would it be fixed what treatment?
Does it require any type of anesthisia or sedation?

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 hours later
Hello
Thanks for fresh query.
It will be done by surgery where ureter is re-implanted at new place in to the bladder to restore the free flow of urine from kidney into bladder.
It will be done under anesthesia.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Suffer from panic attacks. Done with CT scan. Explain results? Could it be cancer? 1 hour later
But is this condition serious? And how will they determine if I need surgery? Is it ok to wait to see the urologist till 07/24/13 or is this something to take care of ASAP? Is it possible for me not to have to have surgery? Or do you think ill end up needing it?

How long would the surgery take and what the recovery time?

The IPV requires XXXXXXX this would be the 3rd time having XXXXXXX in my body in less than 3 months, wouldn't it harm my kidney or any other organ? Plz reply to all my questions thank you!

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Hello
Thanks for fresh query.
It is not serious at all.

The surgery will be decided by Urologist on finding of the IVP ,Function of the kidney ,and degree of obstruction .

You can certainly wait till 24 July 2013.

The decision about surgery will be taken by Urologist after final diagnosis.

IVP can not be done without radio opaque XXXXXXX which gets excreted in urine within 8 -10 hours and has no harmful effect on kidneys.or any other organ.

Surgery may take 1.5 hours to 2 hours and depends upon the experience of a surgeon.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Suffer from panic attacks. Done with CT scan. Explain results? Could it be cancer? 5 hours later
So, the XXXXXXX won't damage my kidneys? Even if this is the 3rd time I get it in less than 3 months? I've heard about the XXXXXXX causing kidney failure?!?! I don't want to run that risk!

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 45 minutes later
Hello
Thanks for writing again.
kidney failure due to XXXXXXX occurs only if person has allergy to the XXXXXXX and in case he develops anaphylaxis after giving injection.

So there is no risk even you go for IVP and have the XXXXXXX third time in 3 months.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Suffer from panic attacks. Done with CT scan. Explain results? Could it be cancer? 3 hours later
And due to this condition, were would I be experiencing pain?

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 48 minutes later
Hello
Thanks for fresh query.
You will have pain in Rt.Loin radiating down and anteriorly to pelvis.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Suffer from panic attacks. Done with CT scan. Explain results? Could it be cancer? 2 days later
What symptoms should I watche out for?

Hello
Thanks for fresh query.
Pain and vomiting and infections are the main symptoms due to obstructed ureter .
However there is risk of damaging the kidney if neglected and untreated for a long time.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

I've been having some pain in that side (right) my pain is right by my gallbladder, ending on my ribs (front of abd). Also pelvic pain and pain right were my leg connects to my upper body. Could this be complications from this? I also feel nauseous every now and then.

Hello
Any Gall bladder pathology would have been detected on CT scan .Your pain on right side of abdomen and pelvis is suggestive of renal origin which has been detected and confirmed by CT and ultrasound scan .
Please do not get confused when you have already one pathology proved by all investigations to be Primary Obstructed Ureter.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

That's what I was. asking, if this symptoms are related to my Dx of ct scan, I know it's not my gallbladder I was just telling you were my pain is at

Hello
There is no a precise location where the pain will be pointed at.
It is a pain due to distension and stretching of nerve endings in kidney and ureter hence can be located over entire abdomen and pelvis from just bellow the rib cage to pelvis.
The treatment does not change according to site of pain when the diagnosis is established and confirmed by relevant investigations.
Thanks and regards.
Dr.Patil.