Suffer from itchy ears and continuous headaches. Did I damage inner ear by scratching with fingers?

ENT Specialist
Hi I Think i have damaged my inner ear I suffer from itchy ears They drive me mad at times I think i may over done it poking a finger in my ear I am getting pain around ear which is sometimes severe I am getting a serious continuous throbbing headache as a result of I have pain in the top of the neck as well It is the continuous throbbing headache that is bothering me the most
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. It is unlikely that you may have damaged your inner ear by scratching them. You should get an Audiometry done to check for age related hearing loss and tinnitus.

2. The external ear canal and the ear drum may be damaged by scratching the ear regularly.

3. The skin lining the ear canal is easily damaged and also itches while healing. This sets up a vicious cycle and makes the scratching and cleaning a habit.

4. People with gastritis and acidity often have itching ears due to referred sensations via a common nerve supply.

5. The pain may be due to chondritis (inflammation of the cartilage). The headache may be related this or a cervical spine spondylosis.

6. Hence an ear examination, cervical spine x-rays will be required, along with medication to ease the pain and itching. This will require a prescription from a local doctor.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.