Suffer from anxiety problem and post tramatic stress syndrome. Suggested Zanex. Guide?

Hi I have been suffering terrible anxiety problems, which give me terrible me side affects . I trhink I am suffering post tramatic stress syndrome from a home invasion where a man broke into my bedroom and masturbated. Since then I panick any time I lie next to my husband that he is going to do it, he dose it regulary and I have told him that I can not even breath to tell him to stop because it brings back such awful memories. He told me to get over it and that we are adults and it is a natural human experience. I know this and have no problem with him doing it in private but it some nights I lie in my bed pralized with fear that he will do it. MY friend gave me a zanex tablet and it really helped with my anxiety and trying to sleep. Please I need some reliefe. This matter is so embarrassing I can not go to my family g.p...
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rene Gerard Cruz Galera Jr 1 hour later

Thank you for your question.

I am glad that you have taken this step to face this problem. It is really difficult to come out and admit this problem, especially to someone that you do not know but I am really glad that you did. Thank you for sharing this problem with me.

Your description of your feelings and the very traumatic history of sexual assault do point to medications, especially from a friend. Some medications are XXXXXXX to take without any direction or supervision from a physician. So please, despite the relief that it brings you, stop taking zanex.

Now, what I will be telling you next will seem like a very hard thing to do, but considering that you are now here telling me your problem, I am sure that YOU CAN do this. Psychiatrists are very well equipped in handling cases like yours and PTSD can be easily managed by both psychotherapies and medications. Try involving your husband or your closest family member and look for support groups of women who also underwent your predicament. You are not alone - there are women out there who have suffered too and are now living normal lives.

Your traumatic experience can truly affect you and your life but it should not and does not define who you are. You can do this and you can overcome this problem once and for all.

I hope I was able to address your concerns. If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to ask me. If not, you may close this discussion and rate it. Take care and I wish you well.

All the best,

Dr. Galera