Suffer from anxiety. Having upper viral respiratory infection and hay fever. Having viral rashes. Suggest

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi. I am getting really anxious and worried. My 11 year old son had a blood test done three weeks ago. Everything came back normal apart from his White blood count, which was "essentially normal" but "borderline low". I was told he needed to be re-tested in 4 weeks time. I suffer from a health anxiety problem myself and it is making me ill. I am terrified of it coming back the same or lower. The doctor only did the test because I said I was worried about the fact he had had a couple of viral infections recently. Also two weeks before the test, just for extra information, he had his first MMR Jab. At present he seems to have got over his upper viral respiratory infection and apart from hay fever is OK. He is putting on weight and eats very well. The day he had the blood test done we had been to the doctors because he had a rash. His glands were up and the doctor said it was a viral rash. What can be causing his borderline low white blood count.
Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 33 minutes later
Hi sir. Thank you for your query.

I understand your concerns as this is true that low WBC may indicate some serious hematological disease which I wont mention here since this is the last thing to think of. Commonly, borderline WBC is found in healthy people especially children at his age when intensive growth and development begins. Also, in this case, the most possible cause of it, is the most obvious one. And this is viral inection. Respiratory viral infections (unlike bacterial which always cause high wbc) can cause both elevation and decease in WBC. It happens because Viral infections may temporarily disrupt bone marrow function.
This is the reason why your doctors told you to repeat tests in month when he recovers from the respiratory infection.
WIsh you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help. Regards