Suffer from acid reflux, takes omeprazole. Have sharp chest pain. Correlation between taking proton pumps and getting pain?

Periodically, I suffer from acid reflux disease. But when it gets really bad, I will take omeprazole. The next day, I notice shooting sharp pains on my left side chest. This happens each and every time I take the medication, even with over the counter antacids like TUMS. Is there any evidence whatsoever to suggest any correlation between taking Proton Pump Inhibitors and getting cardiovascular symptoms such as the one I am describing?
TUMS also contains the ingredient 'talc' which has been proven to be toxic to the body, should I discontinue taking TUMS?

Thank You
Posted Fri, 4 Oct 2013 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero Munoz 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Proton Pump Inhibitors

Detailed Answer:

Delighted to be able to help.

Currently there is no scientific evidence linking use of proton pump inhibitors with cardiovascular symptoms.

If there is evidence that is in patients who have already suffered a heart attack and are taking an anticoagulant drug called Clopidogrel.

Some of the proton pump inhibitors decreases the effect of clopidogrel, very important drug for cardiac patients.

About the drug that you refer, containing talc, is not the most suitable to treat your symptoms.

In my opinion Ranitidine 150 mg twice a day can be taken for treating your symtoms. Please consult your local doctor for a prescription and evaluation of your pain in the left chest (may even be a symptom of reflux).

I Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, please don’t forget to evaluate my answer.

I wish you good health.