Suffer chronic back pain. Taking RFNA treatment. Took facet injections. Pain is more in night. Remedy?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Chronic back pain L3-S1. I was taking RFNA treatments for the back pain both the right and left, then I had to get a pacemaker. The RFNA took the pain level down to about 25-30%, I was able to live a pretty normal life and took an average of 1 1/2 Vicodin eve. Now, with facet injections on both sided for the 4 levels really help me from what I was when I couldn't have the RFNA. In the day I can walk for may 10 min., just starting to drive and have sat at church for 2 hrs---too long. But no mater what I do, I keep mind busy in the day, but at night the pain starts about 5-6pm, then again about 10pm and at 2 am and often I'm awakened about 3 am. I have to eat a snack before each dose and my sleep is so interrupted. I talk a Norco 5/325 at 6p, 2 at 10 and maybe 2 at 2pm (but usually) only 1, then if I am awakened with pain and restless leg or legs depending on what side or sides the pain. I wondering if there is anything out in the medical field that can help me. The Norco, even Norco 10/325 don't do much good. I've had ALIF in 1086 which didn't help a lot. I don't want my system to get used to taking these pain meds at specific times, don't want to expect to have to take the meds at certain times and don't want to wake so much that I'm always tired. Each med time takes about 1-2 hrs to take effect and I'm up all that time. Can you give me some advice on this? Thanks, XXXXX
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
surgery may help

Detailed Answer:

It seems that you have degenerative lumbar spine ( wear and tear in the joints of your spine).
I understand that facet joints injections did help you in the past, so you may consider repeating them or try caudal epidural injection.

You family doctor (GP) should be able to adjust your analgesia and many of them do work for more than 6 hours so you should not wake up at night to take your tablets.

If you do not want to try more injections then spinal fusion surgery may help you.

Spinal orthopaedic surgeon needs to assess you and get up to date scans to see if surgery is viable option for you, that if you wish to consider surgery.

Kind regards
Follow-up: Suffer chronic back pain. Taking RFNA treatment. Took facet injections. Pain is more in night. Remedy? 21 hours later
Can you give me any names of pain medications that last for more than 6 hrs so I can ask my Doctor about them?
Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 6 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Ibuprofen and Naproxen last 8 hours and celecoxib last over 12 hours.
there are side effects and contraindications for each drug, so please check with your doctor if they are suitable for you.