Suffeing from paralyzing due to ischemic stroke. Want to know about Hyperbaric oxygen therapy

Hello, Doctor; 18 years ago, this coming January, 2014, I suffered a paralyzing 'ischemic" stroke, rendering my leftside inoperable. Today, I cannot function with my left arm/fingers. When I force movement in these extremities, it is very spastic. I cannot walk normally; either I ride in a wheelchair which is pushed by a 'care-giver', or I try to walk with a quad-cane, I have heard and read so much about HBOT in reference to that particular therapy restoring function to a
patient in my condition; can you please give me what you know of this therapy? Thank you so much; I am 67 years old.
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Very sorry to learn that you had stroke many years back.
HBOT is hyperbaric oxygen therapy and it involves putting the person in a chamber and then giving 100% pure oxygen at high pressure.This pressure is approximately two and half times of normal atmospheric pressure.
Under increased pressure your blood is able to carry more oxygen.
This treatment is basically meant for gangrene but is also being given to patients suffering fron intracranial abscess,anaemia,skin grafts,non healing wound ulcers etc.
Although this therapy is being tried in patients like you but there has been only a very limited success only and more such studies are being done.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck