Suddenly started pain in back. Pain worse during the night. What is causing this and treatment?

My upper back has been hurting for about three weeks. I did not do anything to hurt it. It just started suddenly one night. It hurts much worse during the night. It stretches out during the day so I can still work. I have had lower back pain before from my job but this is different and it sends sudden pain at times even when I'm not moving. No other symptoms and nothing else has changed in my lifestyle at all.
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
According to the clinical history provided the back pain could be part of a mechanical back pain complex of symptoms. This mechanical back pain is caused due to bad posture at work, long work-hours in particular position, lack of proper sleep or healthy diet as well.

I suggest you to try back strengthening exercises by extension of the back muscles which can be taught by your Orthopedician or Physiotherapist. This will help to relieve the possible muscle spasm which causes the pain. One must also rule out inflammatory disorders, for which I recommend you to get a X-ray of your spine after consulting with an Orthopedician. MRI can be taken in case you have any nerve compression symptoms or as deemed necessary by your Orthopedician.

After a thorough physical examination by your Orthopedician, you may be prescribed pain killers and/or muscle relaxants which should give you relief. Physiotherapy may also be advised if necessary. I would suggest you to try swimming as this will help most in back conditions.

Avoid weight bearing exercises. Do only mild aerobics which does not put your back to strain.
Eat a diet XXXXXXX in fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, nuts, milk, eggs, pulses and cereals. Drink 1-2 litres of water daily. Do brisk walking exercise for 40 minutes daily. Get 6-8 hours of refreshing sleep daily.

Kindly follow up with me about your progress.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.